The team at Farrell Insurance Associates, Inc. knows all too well the toll that wind, rain, and hail can take on homes and properties. As a Lansdale, PA homeowner, you want to do everything you can to protect your investment from weather elements. Consider these tips to safeguard your home against wind and storms.
- Fasten metal roofing and siding. When heavy gusts tear away roof panels, secure metal siding and roofing to the side of your home to prevent further damage.
- Inspect shingles. Your roof should be protected by a waterproof covering under the shingles. Additionally, each shingle should be held in place by at least six staples or nails placed beneath the edge of overlapping shingles. Replace missing shingles right away, so water doesn’t have a chance to get in.
- Secure doors and windows. Made of steel or aluminum, storm shutters can protect windows and glass doors from being shattered by flying objects during a storm. Install window well covers to avoid water accumulation.
- Maintain gutters and drains. Downspouts should be three to six feet long and should drain water away from your home (and your neighbor’s, too). Keep gutters and drains clear of debris. Have your foundation drain inspected by a licensed plumber.
- Chop down trees. If a tree’s distance from your home is less than its height when fully grown, it should be removed.
- Anchor outdoor furniture and temporary structures. Bolt down grills and patio furniture. Storage sheds and the like should be secured with ground anchors or a permanent foundation.
- Check the garage door. A flimsy garage door can open up your entire home to weather damage. If it’s not in optimal condition, have it repaired or replaced right away.
Farrell Insurance Associates, Inc. is committed to providing Lansdale, PA homeowners with quality coverage and peace of mind. Give us a call or stop by our office to speak with an agent.